Monday, July 30, 2007

Always something exciting going on.........

We went camping up to the lake this weekend where my brother has a cabin. We have been looking forward to going for weeks. It is nice and cool up there and 2 of my brothers have boats. The kids were excited to spend a weekend with their Uncles fishing, riding 4 wheelers and water skiing. I was looking forward to relaxing in the cool mountain air a good book and some peace and quite while the guys took all of the kids boating.
It is a 2 hour drive to the cabin from our home which ended up taking us 4 hours with the road construction that was going on at the mouth of the canyon we were going up. That was really fun with 4 kids and Chase kicking the back of my seat the whole way up there and Dusty veins in his neck standing out 2 inches because of the traffic, then there was the slow drivers who have never drove on a canyon highway EVER......that is a story for the redneck file......
We get to my brothers and set up camp next to his cabin, at this time it is 10:00 pm. I make all of the kids up a bed and turn on a move for them (we really ruff it) and go inside to visit with my family. About 2:30am we go to bed. The next morning we are all suppose to go boating when one of my brothers "friends" shows up with his boat and 4 kids. I love kids and pride myself on mine being very well behaved but these kids were WILD!!! They had a son who was 8 right around Cody's age and the 2 of them hit it right off and Cody was thrilled to have someone his age to play with who could also stand to pee. He is always out numbered by girls and all they want to do is chase him and try to kiss him. (I am sure in a few years he will have a change of heart towards girls chasing him) THEN 3 little 6 years old triplets come running in the house screaming..... I am so glad I was blessed with just single births... There boat won't start so Dusty being the only real mechanic in the herd of redneck-men folk ends up pulling the whole thing apart and on the phone trying to find a starter for it. Day was a bust so off to the trailer I go to start the fixing for our big dutch over dinner my husband decided at the last min. I would love to cook. I am good at it but what happened to reading a good book and relaxing......
Here is where the fun begins.....
We have a 4 wheeler, it took a lot of begging on my sons and husbands part for me to agree to Austin buying this thing. He even bought the helmet before the 4 wheeler. All of them have had a ball on this thing and yes I have even been known to giggle when they were TRYING to teach me how to drive it. As everyone knows we have 6 boys and 3 girls... our 3 girls are as tough and fearless as any of our boys. But we have one who really has a hard time being a girl and always wants to do EVERYTHING the boys are doing. This daughters name is Courtney, she is 12 almost 13. She has been getting riding lessons from her dad and brother. They have went over all of the safety things with her ect....... The boys went down from the cabin where there are some small jumps to ride and Courtney begged to go with them so her dad caved and let her go. They all came back a hour later and said how well she did and she just beamed with pride that the boys all thought she was so good on the thing. Courtney rode all day and was having a great time until............
I had just put all of the dutch ovens together and Dusty (Chief Boy-r-dee) put the coles over the overs to cook so I went in the cabin to see what help was needed there for dinner. My brother John says " where is Dusty and Jeff running to" my heart went to my toes thinking oh god where is Chase!!! We all go running out of the cabin and see Chase is with my 17 year old Austin....I look down the road and see Courtney walking and she is wet from head to toes. She had missed the turn and drove the 4 wheeler over the edge of and bank of the creek (10feet straight down) The only thing she was worried about was that she might have broke her brothers 4 wheeler. I am looking at her arm as I am running to her I notice her arm looked funny and not in a good way. So after some dry clothes and some ice pack were filled and Dusty in dry clothes off to the nearest hospital we go. She is now sporting a cast and is waiting for surgery in a week or so to put pins in her arm........When we got back to camp everyone asked her if she was ready to go riding she smiled and said " if one of you will cut the cast away from my elbow I will be"..................I hope one day she finds out she is a girl ......but then she will be like her mom and just find a man to marry that love the fact she will do the same thing he likes to do...............The rest of the trip was fun, the boys went boating and caught lots of fish..Chase loved it when they put the fish in the cooler and he would open it the fish would splash water on him and Sunday while the boys went fishing I did get a long hot bath and a nap.... with Courtney begging to stay just 1 more day!!!

2 comments:

amy flege said...

oh man.. that plain sucks!! i hope she is not in too much pain. just glad she wasnt hurt worse!! hope the surgery goes well!

Debra said...

we beat you...we beat you....we have had two kids with broken bones this summer. Becca and Jason...and please don't burst my bubble and tell me we tied. LOL This will be the only thing I have won at all summer.

Hugs
Debra and Hope